“She grew up watching hockey, with her daddy on saturday nights” – Dean Brody: “Canadian Girls”
Let’s go back in time to November 5th, around 6:45 AM. Jamie said to me in my pretty lethargic state something along the lines of “I won hockey tickets on Twitter. It’s either tonight or Thursday night. Not sure what day.” I then may have responded with the word Jennifer Lawrence said when asked what went through her head when she fell going up to receive an award “It was a bad word, that started with an ‘f'”… I began my negotiations on what is in it for me, and then agreed to go.
Later that morning we learned the game was actually Thursday night which allowed time for denial, anger, acceptance – you know the normal stages of grieving.
Yesterday came around and I was asked to pick up the tickets to save us time later that evening.. I actually neglected to say that this was my FIRST EVER hockey game – I know, I put Canadian stereotypes to shame. So I was beyond nervous just picking the tickets up, so I decided to treat myself to a White Peppermint Mocha from Starbucks first!
Jamie picked me up after work, he showered, and then all the festivities were able to start. I negotiated earlier in the week, going to a frozen yogurt bar which just opened up. Jamie enthusiastically complied to my
After the deliciousness it was time to go attend this game. We were walking towards the door with a herd of people and I loudly said to Jamie “okay stay close! It’s your first ever hockey game, and I am sure you are nervous”.. Everyone turned around and awkwardly stared at him.
We got to our seats and waited for it to begin. At one point it was ‘practice’ which I thought was pretty dumb – what the hell were they doing in the days leading up to the game? Watching movies? During their last minute practice, they were shooting pucks at the glass REALLY hard. I might have jumped and yelled a little bit every time.
This was like a legitimate sports game. They even sang the national anthem. Jamie took me to a Blue Jays game once, and they sung it, but I don’t know how credible they are – I mean, everyone randomly stands up and sings “take me out to the ball game”..
I learned a lot of things during the game:
- A “penalty” is a grown man time out
- booing the ref is nothing but annoying – IT DOES NOT CHANGE THE OUTCOME
- No one claps for the other team for doing anything good – it is kind of rude
- Jamie is unaware where the players moms sit
- Jamie also does not know how the hanging things from the roof get cleaned
- When the big buzzer goes, it does not mean its time to leave – it means there are 2 more periods and 2 breaks to go
- The refs need to ‘consult’ over if the puck actually is in the net. I see it in the net. CLEARLY it is in.
- At the end of the game 2000 people belt out “Sweet Caroline” for no reason at all
Do you like hockey?
What is your favourite frozen yogurt topping?
Would you belt out “Sweet Caroline”?